Friday, August 7, 2015

Notes on Complicity






Just outside the school
deep roots of ancient wisdom
patiently waiting




He came up to the till. His face, a ruddy red, was sweating from the unVancouver-like heat outside our air conditioned doors; his anger was palpable. It radiated from his eyes, his boxer-like stance and the faint curled lip. He brought up to the cash a bottle of Roundup.

After my greeting I said, Roundup is illegal to use in most communities. Check with your local government before using.

He stared at me, the curled lip broadening into a sneer, I live in North Vancouver.

It’s illegal, I replied.

The sneer almost grinned. He paid for his purchase and left.

*   *  *

He was a small man with roundish glasses and meek manner— my own Walter Mitty alive and well. In a chatty but quiet voice he asked for a refund: my soaker hose leaks in all the wrong places; its defective. I agreed to exchange it for a new one then casually said, I guess it’s a moot point right now with the drought, you can’t use it anyhow.

Oh, he said with light-hearted cheer, I cheat a little.

My colleague and I both stared at him. You can’t cheat, we said, don’t use it.

He looked up, flustered; amazed we would call him on this seemingly minor trespass. He quickly gathered his hose and walked away.

*   *  *

I drove to work the other day because I didn't want to bus and was too tired to walk. No one called me on it… only my conscience.




If you like this blog, please "like" my FaceBook page and get notices on your timeline when a new article is posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment